International Information Management

Monday, August 28, 2006

Ancient Writing Systems

I'm not sure what khipu represents, exactly; I feel like it could be both numbers and writing. Although I'm not sure I agree with Dr. Urton and his theory of three dimensional binary code. I'm sure that if the Incas created a tool for remembering numbers that they had some form of writing - even though it isn't necessarily a form of writing as we recognize it. But the idea of using cryptic knots as a way of relaying information is pretty amazing. Furthermore, even if khipu were simply the original abacus, it is STILL relaying information. After all, math is information!

As for the Oracle bones, have any of you read Amy Tan's
The Bonesetter's Daughter? It's been a while since I read it but they talk about dragon bones in the book (this goes back to the blackboard discussion on fictional history). It's a really interesting book!

Also, when I was reading about Oracle bones I was thinking how odd it seems for someone to write on the fossils of dead animals. That made me wonder: a couple generations down the road, while students think that using paper is a crazy idea? Most of the things I do now are digital; I know a lot of places moving to a 'paperless' office ... is paper going to go the way of oracle bones a few hundred years down the road?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home